Monday, June 18, 2007

Artists

I've been looking at the Marie Antoinette project, a collaboration by Lisa Kaus, Pam Garrison, Anahata Katkin, Lynne Perrella, Teesha Moore and many others, and wondering, how does one "get in"? I've been following Lynne Perrella and Teesha Moore's work for years, how would I get to collaborate with them? Hmmm...I get the feeling that I would have to get my stuff published, or attend ArtFest for a couple of years to be able to do that. I'm trying to put myself and my art out into the world and see how its received, but it's tough when no one in my immediate proximity (that I know of, anyway) is experienced in this sort of work.


I think I'm drawn to artists like these because their art isn't "elitist"--it's not meant to be confusing or only to be understood by a select few people who have studied art history extensively. I have an instructor who tells our class that she uses "relational" media, yet never offered to explain that to us. She's been our instructor since January and I still have no idea what kind of art she does, even though she refers to "her work" all the time. It seems very "holier than thou" to me, but maybe that is just my own perception. I understand wanting to use the creative process as emotional one, but I also want to include the general public in art that I share with others--I want people to "get it", and I try to make sure I can speak to my observers.


And, on that note, here are some flickr favorites of mine!

3 comments:

MarilynH said...

I would LOVE to collaborate with those artists too! Right now I'd settle for a half hour alone with a copy of that Marie zine they just made. LOL
I sent you a message thru Flickr. I know its out of the blue and we have never met, but I love your art and thought it would be fun to do a mini-swap-sort-of-thing. Lemme know, k?
Marilyn :)

Samie said...

I just found your blog after wandering to your flickr page from Journal Junk. Amazing work! I really love the colors you use and the way things seem a little softer around the edges. *laughs* And I was going to do a sheet of hand-drawn labels..you beat me to the punch, girl!

I read your little thing about a 'zine. I'm publishing an art journal one, and while the first issue is just me, I've opened it up for people to submit. 'zines are a LOT of work but totally and utterly rewarding in the end.

Cheryl Ensom said...

I think it's easier than you might think! I think you're right...put yourself out there, get into some swaps and send some things into Somerset! I saw your book for your mother on flickr and then went through your stream and linked here, SURE you had had some of these things published. They are totally up to par with Somerset stuff (which I also love!) and the magzine takes unsolicited submissions. Send one of these books/journals in!!! Your work is really unique and beautiful, Alexandra! Good luck and big hugs to you!