Sunday, September 09, 2007

Creative Cycles

It seems like I am never tied down to one artistic technique. You know how lots of artists have that signature "style" or craft that they just do beautifully? It seems like I haven't found that for myself yet. Not to say that my work hasn't evolved since I began collage work four years ago, or that I haven't found any one thing that I really connect with (like art journaling), but my creative process always seems to go from paper art to jewelry to card making to scrapbooking to...well, whatever else it goes to. Like the past few days, I've been finding myself wanting to make jewelry, which I haven't done much of in the past nine months or so. But hey, if that's where I feel inspired, that's what I'll do. I still have a ton of my little glass pendants, so maybe I'll work on making complete necklaces/bracelets out of them.

And on a side note, I've been trying to keep up with Stampington & Co.'s nine billion publications, all of which are fabulous. The one I bought most recently is Somerset Home, which details a bunch of home crafty projects that are just superb.


The other one that I've been reading is Artful Blogging, which is a new publication that features artists' blogs, tips, techniques and hints for how to keep an art blog.




This magazine has articles by "emerging" artists (ie., people I don't see regularly in Somerset Studio magazine) Patty Van Dorin, Michelle Ensminger, Tracie Lyn Huskamp, Andrea Singarella and many, many others. I highly recommend grabbing a copy.

Go out and make stuff! I'm off to bed.

3 comments:

Adrienne's Art said...

I have enjoyed your blog and looking at your work ... thanks for the eye candy!

Aimée Wheaton said...

You sound like me!! I'm the same way, one month it's jewelry, next it's collage, painting, etc. I think it's great we can switch modes when we want to. I do know what you mean about having a signature design that's instantly recognizable, I am totally feeling the same way! Beautiful blog too! I just got the Artful blogging mag too! :)

Dawn D. Sokol said...

I think that's totally normal to jump from one thing to another. I did that for quite some time before settling on art journaling. I still do some soldered charms (haven't in quite a while), but the journaling is it for me...I think doing more than one thing exposes you to all kinds of techniques that are interchangeable...it's all good! You may end up finding something you like more than other things, but you may not...and that's OK! :)

Dawn
dblogala.typepad.com