Sunday, May 27, 2007

On what I've been up to

It seems that when I start to sell art, I start to create based on what will sell, not what I consider to be my artistic truth. Then I realize what I'm doing and feel awful, and start expressing myself "naturally" again, therefore stopping any "production for sale" process. UGH! So many other artists seem to have found a very comfortable balance between personal and business art, and I'm having a tough time of it. I guess the solution would be to just keep on working on what I've started, and be patient. I don't want to make things that look machine-made or mass-produced, but I'd also like to get my stuff out there. I need to keep taking creative risks, and use what "works" in what I sell, right?

Other than that, I'm loving my brand new copy of Somerset Life, which, ironically enough, features an article on creative blogging, interviewing Corey Amaro, Michelle Ward, and Hanne Matthiesen. Also, Amanda Belle Nolan has written a fabulous article on paper cone gift wrapping and display--have I mentioned that I have 3 or 4 of those lying around? Anyway. Check it out, I picked up a copy at Barnes and Noble.

1 comment:

xxxxx said...

I enjoyed visiting your blog this morning :-) Isn't Somerset Life a beautiful and inspiring mag?! I received my copy this week and am so so loving the eye-candy and the inspiration.!